Sunday 26 July 2009

The Deaf Couple

heyas. So, many of you know I am working in Midvell for 4days. Yea, I know there isn't much to talk about, but I stumble across something real interesting today. I came across..

a deaf couple.

Yeah, you heard me right - a deaf couple. They were married and both of them are deaf. The only source of communication between them is hand signals. Yes, they do read lips, but hand signals works better. They were in the Maybank fair surveying for usable washing machines. Funny thing was, when I first approach them, I thought they were arrogant for not even replying when I greeted them "may I help you?" I dare not assume they were deaf because it will impolite to call someone deaf if they really are not deaf. After standing there for about, 5minutes, I finally confirmed that they were deaf. I knew the minute when the wife, search for a Toshiba brochure but could not find it. She did not ask her husband verbally, but instead was searching and scouting with the papers on her husband's hands. So then, I confirmed they were deaf. I realized she was looking for the brochure so I quickly took and gave it to them. They were very pleased that I actually bother to serve them.

Yes, communicating with the deaf was sure harder, but it wasn't too hard for me so I manage to go along with it. I could understand the basic things that they were asking me, such as where was it manufactured, how's the repair, what's the lifespan; the wife of the couple, even asked me if Sharp is good. haha. I told them that Sharp is alright, but Toshiba's better. All that while, I was actually communicating with them via simple hand signals and body language. I don't know any crazy complicated ones, but I do know the simple body language that can be understood. In the end, I manage to persuade them that Toshiba is good with their washing machine, that it is very durable. Unfortunately, they did not manage to buy because they did not have enough points to claim. They wanted to get the machine already, but the points were just not enough. They were disappointed.

After that, the wife did something that I think means "swipe more so we are able to claim because we left a bit more". So I told them, when you have enough points, do come back and we were issue a bill for you. Well, technically, I did not tell them, but you get the drill. And so they left. They were so pleased with my service. haha. That, in fact, made my night. Because, unlike a lot, other promoters, I actually treat them like customers, compare prices for them, recommend which is good, even if they are deaf. I don't see why we should separate the least fortunate with, us, normal people.

haha. If you think I am posting this just to blow my own horns, you are wrong. haha. I am actually posting this because to serve that married couple made my night. Also, they made me feel great! haha this not because of me being able to persuade them, but of me being able to communicate with them. I feel really good after that. haha. I even manage to tell them via body language to trust me because I know for a fact that Toshiba is a real good brand and that it's durable. You should've see the looks on their faces, they were really happy that someone actually came and served them. haha. We manage to communicate for about 20minute before they found out that they cannot combine points to redeem, otherwise, they would've bought already. haha. I love that married couple. Very sweet people.I hope they come back tomorrow :)

Anyways, I'm heading to bed now. Tomorrow's going to be crazy! Wish me luck yaw! toodlessss!

No comments: